New Project Flash Update: Advancing Azure Virtual Machine availability monitoring
Flash, as the project is internally known, is a collection of efforts across Azure Engineering, that aims to evolve Azure’s virtual machine (VM) availability monitoring ecosystem into a centralized, holistic, and intelligible solution customers can rely on to meet their specific observability needs. As part of this multi-year endeavor, we’re excited to announce the:
- General availability of VM availability information in Azure Resource Graph for efficient and at-scale monitoring, convenient for detailed downtime investigations and impact assessment.
- Preview of a VM availability metric in Azure Monitor for quick debugging is now publicly available, trend analysis of VM availability over time, and setting up threshold-based alerts on scenarios that impact workload performance.
- Preview of VM availability status change events via Azure Event Grid for instantaneous notifications on critical changes in VM availability, to quickly trigger remediation actions to prevent end-user impact.
Update SCOM Servers & Agents to continue using Log Analytics Integration
From 1 February 2023, System Center Operations Manager version lower than 2019 UR3 will stop sending data to Log Analytics workspace. Ensure your agents are on SCOM Agent version 10.19.10177.0 (2019 UR3 or later) or 10.22.10056.0 (2022 RTM) and SCOM Management Group version is SCOM 2022 & 2019 UR3 or later version.
What is the recommendation?
We recommend you to be on the latest or supported version of the agent or Management Group by following below guidelines.
Agent: How to Upgrade an Agent to System Center Operations Manager | Microsoft Learn
Management Group: Upgrading System Center Operations Manager | Microsoft Learn
Who is not impacted?
- SCOM Agent or Management group that is not configured to send data to Log Analytics
- SCOM Agent that is on version 10.19.10177.0 (2019 UR3 or newer) or 10.22.10056.0 (2022 RTM).
- SCOM Management Server that is on SCOM 2022 & 2019 UR3 or higher version.
Are there any other impacted services?
System Center Service Manager using agents prior to 10.19.10177.0 (2019 UR3) will be impacted. If you are using an agent prior to 10.19.10177.0 (2019 UR3), your agent will be unable to connect to Azure Log Analytics. Core features of the product will continue to function ‘as is’.
If you have any concerns or further questions, create a support ticket.